Professor in Scenography - Norwegian Theatre Academy (NTA) at Østfold University College
- to develop and administrate the Master in Scenography-program in close collaboration with Artistic Director
- to care for, and further develope regional, national and international relations and networks in collaboration with Artistic Director and in respect to the production units of the Master program and the research context of NTA
- to lead workshops for Master and Bachelor students
- to tutor Master in Scenography students towards the realization of the final Master projects at the end of their studies, including participation in presentations and performances
- being in charge of the Master in Scenography students´continuous supervision, their term- an final evaluations
- to arrange, coordinate and supervise workshops and production units during the terms, especially in collaboration with external partners and guest artists, lecturers
- to coordinate and lead critical events, seminars, collaborative actions, etc with external partnersto collaborate with faculty, guests and
- administrative staff on NTA’s strategic agenda, developing teaching methods, planning the curriculum and evaluations
- to be in charge of the daily implementation of the quality system stipulated by the University College in respect to the Master program in Scenography
- to initiate, develop, participate in and lead international artistic research projects with external funding
- to supervise individual artistic research fellows when there are relevant connections
- an established and well-documented innovative international art practice, teaching record and publication record with an emphasis on the expanded field of scenography as agency for spatial identity, theatrical narrative, object based theatre, performance, visual arts, public space and urban idiosyncrasies, including migration
- strong experience in initiating, developing and implementing artistic research projects on contemporary cultural issues and their relation to critical scenography practices, especially in relation to the Norwegian Artistic Research Program
- documented experience working with Bachelor and Master students as well as supervising artistic research fellows, i.e. research-based teaching and tutoring experience
- the position is remunerated as 1013 Professor between NOK 704 900 – 837 200. The salary scale will depend on qualifications, experience and a market assessment.
- good insurance schemes, pension and loan opportunities in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- positive and educative working environment
- a motivation letter for the position
- documentation of artistic practice and research (Portifolio)
- list of publications documentation of educational qualifications relevant testimonials and diplomas
About the position
Norwegian Theatre Academy (NTA) at Østfold University College in Fredrikstad offers a research and study environment in the expanded fields of acting, performance and scenography. Students inquire into the intersections of art and society with internationally practicing guest artists and faculty. Values informing the education rely on listening, collaboration, staying with failure, re-imagining material relations, excavation and play.
NTA has a vacancy as Professor for a 60 % position in Scenography.
The teaching language at NTA is in English and the administrative language is Norwegian.
As professor in scenogrphy you will act as the main faculty member coordinating and tutoring activities of the Master in Scenography student group.
Additionally you will contribute and develop research in relation to NTA´s current research agenda.
The Master in Scenography is a program concerned with the impact and context of scenography, performance and urban strategies globally and the development of critical artistic practice within and beyond institutions, across a range of contested ethical issues. The position requires the applicant therefore to meet the following:
The applicant must be aware of that there might be some changes in responsibilities for the position due to internal re-organization at Norwegian theatre Academy.
General qualification requirements
There are general requirements for higher education, research qualifications/relevant practice and practical pedagogical competence. Read more about the requirements in the regulations on recruitment and promotion in teaching and research positions.
Permanent employment in the position requires educational qualifications. A position as assistant professor, senior lecturer or associate professor requires courses in university and university college pedagogy (200 hours) and qualifications in forms of digital learning (50 hours). A position as associate professor and professor requires additional pedagogical qualifications. See further description: Educational qualifications requirements at HiØ.
If you do not fulfil the requirement for pedagogical qualifications, the employment is provisional for up to two years. The university college offers a course of study in practical university college pedagogy and digital teaching forms.
Applicants with insufficient abilities in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language may be required to acquire the necessary oral and written skills over a three-year period. The language requirement is documented by the passing of the Bergen Test at level B2, or equivalent.
Submission of applications
You shall submit your application in English via our recruitment system Jobbnorge.
All accompanying documentation shall be in Norwegian, Scandinavian or English. To your application you must attach:
For further information about the position, please contact
Professor Serge Von Arx
tlf: +47 414 49 318
Administrative leader Anne berit Løland
tlf: +47 992 32 849
Østfold University College practices an inclusive working life and conforms to the government’s inclusion efforts. This means that we welcome qualified applicants with disabilities, different national or ethnic backgrounds, and candidates who, for various reasons, are unable to document an unbroken professional career.
We practice open government in the state. If you require any confidential processing of your application, please note that information about you may still be disclosed. You will then be notified of this, cf. §25 of the Freedom of Information Act
If you state that you have disabilities, an immigrant background or gaps in your CV, your information may be used for statistical purposes.
Østfold University College is located in Fredrikstad and Halden, close to the archipelago and wonderful hiking terrain in the woods and fields, within a short distance to major cities such as Oslo and Gothenburg.
We are a state university college with around 7,500 students and 625 employees spread over the two campuses. The university college has a broad study portfolio, ranging from profession education programmes to arts, both at bachelor’s and master’s level. The university college is working to establish a doctoral program in the field of “The digital society”.
The university college is a regional institution and has extensive cooperation with both the business and public sectors. This cooperation is important for the development of both the university college and the region. The core of our activities is to educate adaptable professional practitioners that the community needs.
We contribute to increased understanding and generate debate regionally, nationally and internationally through our research, artistic development work and dissemination of knowledge.
For more information about Østfold University College, visit our website at https://www.hiof.no/english/