Professor / Associate Professor of Performance - Norwegian Theatre Academy (NTA) at Østfold University College
- co- administrate and develop the MA Performance program closely with Artistic Director, caring for/developing local and international relations and networks
- tutor Master student individual projects and group collaborations in MA Performance and support their production process/management
- collaborate with guest faculty and administrative staff on developing teaching methods, curriculum planning and evaluations including leading MA workshops yourself
- to advise BA students at key moments, work closely with other faculty on BA curriculum development where relevant, intersect BA and MA programs strategically, devise, organize and lead innovative workshops on Bachelor level in acting training, and tutor BA independent projects occasionally in both scenography and acting
- to initiate, develop, participate in, and lead international artistic research projects with external funding
- to coordinate and lead critical events, seminars, collaborative actions, etc. with external partners investigating the expanded field of performance practices
- to supervise individual artistic research fellows when there are relevant connections
- be an experienced performer themselves with a record of embodied practices
- have documented international artistic productions, teaching record AND publication record rooted in research on contemporary political issues and their relation to critical performance practices with an emphasis on questions re: social justice, migration and identity, indigenous knowledge, embodiment and queer theory. This means the candidate can also demonstrate they are well versed in relevant theoretical literature and discourses.
- be an established and well-documented innovative international artistic practice in the expanded field of performance, with an educational background (that includes MA degree) on practices in a broad range of skills (i.e. performance art, acting, directing)
- have documented experience working with BA and MA students from a range of backgrounds and social situations, i.e. research-based teaching and tutoring experience with strong theoretical basis and a documented reflection on pedagogy
- have a PhD or equivalent degree in the field of performing arts / artistic research will be a strong aspect
- the position is remunerated as 1013 Professor between NOK 704 900 – 837 200, or as 1011 Associate professor between NOK 605 500 – 704 900. The salary scale will depend on qualifications, experience and a market assessment.
- good insurance schemes, pension and loan opportunities in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- positive and educative working environment
- a motivation letter for the position
- documentation of artistic practice and research (Portifolio)
- list of publications documentation of educational qualifications relevant testimonials and diplomas
- Professor Karmenlara Ely Seidman
Phone: +47 405 52 318
- Administrative leader Anne Berit Løland
Phone: +47 992 32 849
About the position
Norwegian Theatre Academy (NTA) at Østfold University College in Fredrikstad offers a research and study environment in the expanded fields of acting, performance and scenography. Students inquire into the intersections of art and society with internationally practicing guest artists and faculty. Values informing the education rely on listening, collaboration, staying with failure, re-imagining material relations, excavation and play.
NTA has a vacancy as Professor/ Associate Professor for a 60 % position in Performance.
The teaching language at NTA is in English and the administrative language is Norwegian.
As our Professor/Associate professor in Performance you will act as the main faculty member tutoring and coordinating activities of MA Performance student group.
As the main responsible faculty overseeing the MA program you will have the task of conducting term evaluations, producing semester reports and taking a lead role in program evaluation when appropriate support the learning environment of the Acting and Performance department at NTA.
The MA in Performance is a program concerned with the impact and context of performance globally and the development of a critical artistic practice beyond institutions, across a range of contested ethical issues. The position requires the applicant to:
The candidate must indicate if they want to be assessed as Professor or Associate Professor.
The applicant must be aware of that there might be some changes in responsibilities for the position due to internal re-organization at Norwegian theatre Academy.
General qualification requirements
There are general requirements for higher education, research qualifications/relevant practice and practical pedagogical competence. Read more about the requirements in the regulations on recruitment and promotion in teaching and research positions.
Permanent employment in the position requires educational qualifications. A position as assistant professor, senior lecturer or associate professor requires courses in university and university college pedagogy (200 hours) and qualifications in forms of digital learning (50 hours). A position as associate professor and professor requires additional pedagogical qualifications. See further description: Educational qualifications requirements at HiØ.
If you do not fulfil the requirement for pedagogical qualifications, the employment is provisional for up to two years. The university college offers a course of study in practical university college pedagogy and digital teaching forms.
Applicants with insufficient abilities in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language may be required to acquire the necessary oral and written skills over a three-year period. The language requirement is documented by the passing of the Bergen Test at level B2, or equivalent.
Submission of applications
You shall submit your application in English via our recruitment system Jobbnorge.
All accompanying documentation shall be in Norwegian, Scandinavian or English. To your application you must attach:
Relevant applicants will be asked to submit publications and scientific works/artistic works for expert assessment.
For further information about the position, please contact
Østfold University College practices an inclusive working life and conforms to the government’s inclusion efforts. This means that we welcome qualified applicants with disabilities, different national or ethnic backgrounds, and candidates who, for various reasons, are unable to document an unbroken professional career.
We practice open government in the state. If you require any confidential processing of your application, please note that information about you may still be disclosed. You will then be notified of this, cf. §25 of the Freedom of Information Act
If you state that you have disabilities, an immigrant background or gaps in your CV, your information may be used for statistical purposes.
Østfold University College is located in Fredrikstad and Halden, close to the archipelago and wonderful hiking terrain in the woods and fields, within a short distance to major cities such as Oslo and Gothenburg.
We are a state university college with around 7,500 students and 625 employees spread over the two campuses. The university college has a broad study portfolio, ranging from profession education programmes to arts, both at bachelor’s and master’s level. The university college is working to establish a doctoral program in the field of “The digital society”.
The university college is a regional institution and has extensive cooperation with both the business and public sectors. This cooperation is important for the development of both the university college and the region. The core of our activities is to educate adaptable professional practitioners that the community needs.
We contribute to increased understanding and generate debate regionally, nationally and internationally through our research, artistic development work and dissemination of knowledge.
For more information about Østfold University College, visit our website at https://www.hiof.no/english/